One hour a day dedicated to your self mastery in life doesn’t sound like much time to stay healthy. And we add to that: in love, inspired, visionary, self respecting. With this Power Hour you then get to turn up for others and your work for 23 hours a day.
One hour is enough provided that you don’t make extra work for yourself in the way you deal with life today.
In order to compress and distill our Self-Mastery time into one hour, we need to make sure we’re not doing things that simply add to our workload. Causing us trouble. Prevention is better than cure.
I found that if I eat candy of any description, even organic low fat, low cholesterol, hand picked, sugar free, no pesticides, no artificial flavours and environmentally free traded with good payments to the poor bastards who picked the grapes in some remote terrorist occupied village of Africa, I feel like crap the next day. Then, my training and wellbeing program takes a dive and i spend twice as long doing half as much as I do when I don’t go down the Miss Piggy Chocolate Route.
I also found that if I don’t drink enough water then the next morning I wake up with a hangover, even if I didn’t do the boozy barbie the night before. Damn, if I’m going to have a hangover I may as well cause it with half decent red wine.
Sometimes I enjoy a late afternoon coffee because there’s a meeting and I need a jump start. Then, around 1.00am, when the infomercials start on TV I start to feel tired but can’t turn the TV off because I’m keen to know how, in 30 seconds a month I can have Abs like that woman who looks like a porn queen for Gym junkies.
Where am I going with all this? Well, if we do stupid, we get stupid. As Forest Gump
would say “stupid is what stupid does” … I guess that means the same thing. If we do stuff today that makes tomorrow feel like crap then 90% of our personal regime for Self Mastery will be doing stuff we didn’t really need to do, and really doesn’t take us anywhere but back to the start of yesterday.
Take exercise for weight loss as an example. My client sat drinking a diet coke, talking about how hard it is to lose weight and the personal trainer she’d hired, the meals in boxes she’s spending half her salary on (and excluding herself from the bread breaking ritual of family life).
3 hours of her day was being spent on weight loss which, with the ongoing consumption of crap binge foods, would guarantee three hours a day, in perpetuity going somewhere that, if she just started eating right, would be freed up for life, love and laughter.
Posture is another cool preventative measure. People sitting at desks with shoulders hunched, chest caved in, legs crossed, high shoes on, for hours at a time and then going to yoga classes for two hours every second day, burning petrol, burning time, burning themselves out, sweating ridiculous healthy minerals from their ageing skin, all for? Well all for compensation for what they could have achieved sitting straight, breathing right and standing up every twenty minutes a day. In other words healthy habits mean we don’t spend half the week trying to get back to where we started at the beginning of the week.
Business is another opportunity for time optimisation. When we work on low priorities we beat ourselves up. So, when you are filling out that survey for your next telephone call with Telstra remember that a person with worth won’t do that stuff, time is too precious.
Devaluing yourself throughout the day leads to huge homework the next day just to get back to feeling OK, let alone inspired.
And there are plenty more things that knock us about and cause us huge amounts of recovery time.
I’ll list them in no specific order:
- Count Your Blessings. Forgetting to do something loving for your partner, work colleagues, clients, family, friends, community will end up in a guilty compensation mode, grumpy or apologetic for something that could have been avoided in 30 seconds of mindful discipline.
- Get over Yourself. Letting someone get under your fingernails, and making one of those ridiculous decisions “I’ll never let that happen again” or “I don’t want to be around people like that” or “he hurt me more than I hurt myself (victim) headspace. These choices around mind control and emotional self mastery are disastrous and can add over 6 hours a day of emotional incompetence. Loving the past is the only way to deal with turbulence, but don’t ask a therapist to help you through that, most don’t even know what love is, and don’t have allot of it in their own lives. (Test it before you leap into defence)
- Turn Up Process Emotion. Allowing fear or guilt to determine any decision you make today, will automatically result in massive rework tomorrow. Why not save the time tomorrow and today by learning from nature rather than experience. Experience is so clumsy.
- Be Humble. When something good happens today, I found that my natural inclination is to take credit for achieving something, and if something bad happens, I want to divert blame to some cause outside of myself. This time wasting, energy sucking, life consuming ignorance is just my own vulnerability around trust. There is something bigger than us in the universe, and we are connected to it through nature. Nothing comes from us, only through us, so there’s no need to take credit or blame. If I take credit at work today, I guarantee I’m going to get the blame for something I did at home. It’s just nature’s balance and rather than go through such neanderthal repercussions – I’d rather say, “nothing comes from me (except emotional) it only comes through me, I take no credit, I take no blame. My estimate is that this saves me one day a week.
- Evolve Daily Avoid GroundHog Days. 100% of my clients come to me for coaching because they have been going in circles in their life for years. Most have tried self-help guru’s, spiritual teachers and meditations. They know, those things made them feel better. But that’s like being on a ferris wheel and taking ginger so you don’t vomit. The bottom line is, they are still on the ferris wheel going around and around and around and around. phuuuuke – even ginger doesn’t help after a while. Nature destroys anything that’s not fulfilling it’s purpose and the purpose of nobody’s life is achieved through meditation. That’s just how to make the ride feel better, I get the benefit. But it doesn’t solve the problem. We need to grow daily and if we get so consumed with solving problems, meeting deadlines, pleasing everyone (including ourselves) it’s so easy to get hooked into “groundhog day.” (movie where the same day just repeats and repeats and repeats.. different situations but the same approach) Evolving means your identity, those things that make the basis of how you deal with everyday life must change, expand, because guess what, life, like the universe, is expanding too. You need bigger solutions because your problems and challenges must only get bigger.
- Let Go and Be Real About the Former You. I got divorced 27 years ago, and for the next 10 years I talked about, dreamt about and had ambitions to recreate the me that existed before the divorce. I wanted to be a father, a business owner, a community leader, a sporty guy. I really wanted to reinvent myself so I was who I used to be, which is not really reinventing myself is it? Sometimes we fall in love with who we were. It’s an awful paradigm because then, no matter what we do, we compare it to who we used to be and fail. Add to this that the longer the time span between the “who we used to be” and “who we are” is, the more deluded we become about our former self and the more impossible it becomes to be like it. Love the past, let it go, turn up thankful in the moment. Evolveyabastard.com
- Love the past. Sometimes we waste an enormous amount of time in uncertainty and confusion because we’re running away from the past. We try all we can to be somebody new, someone more caring, someone more loving, someone more ethical. It’s awful. It’s like a prison and the best we can do is decorate the cell. You are worthy of love (according to nature’s universal laws but not moral, ethical and religious laws) for who you are, were and will be. There’s nothing to run from or to. Finding this worthiness to be loved for who you are saves an enormous amount of self-obsessive doubt and uncertainty. In the end, you can say, “no matter what I do, or don’t do, I am worthy of love. In my life I wasted 4 days a week for ten years trying to earn the worthiness of the love of my children after the divorce. Nobody can do to me more than I do to myself and in the end I realized that the only person who really needed to recognise my worthiness for being loved, was me. That ended up being an extra 4 days a week, I was able to turn up and celebrate my purpose in life. Don’t do stuff yesterday that is going to cause you doubts that’ll take hours out of your today.
- Exercising daily. Burst training has demonstrated that a short workout, with bursts of sprints and then recovery can improve your cardio and VO2 Max better than 3 hours of jogging a day. So, never excuse yourself for not hitting your 10 minutes workout each morning. There’s lots of variety. The key here is separating exercise from weight loss. Weight loss is diet. Exercise is Cardio and immune evolution. Stretch or Yoga or Pilates or Tai chi are not weight loss or Exercise. Exercise and don’t confuse the goal. You can do Yoga all day and die from immune weakness or cardio problems. You can exercise all day and still be fat like a horse if you eat poorly.
- Keep the spark alive. Staying horny for your partner is no accident. Waiting for him or her to caress your neck is playing victim, and a few weeks not feeling horny toward your partner can put them into the rejection, close it down, gee they don’t like me, not appreciated cycle that leads nowhere good. Being horny for your partner doesn’t mean you have to jump into bed and blow that energy away like a teenager. Learn to hold that feeling, learn to feel when it’s gone and don’t let it be gone for more than an hour or two. Stay horny for your partner and express it in the thousands of ways we all know are possible. A smile from a horny partner is as good as sex if it’s genuine. The key here is to want to have a “Honeymoon that lasts forever.” That, in simple language means that relationships are competitions between how you feel about your partner and the thousands of other options competing for your attraction and attention. Your partner must win that competition, otherwise, you’ll be spending 10 years like i did (hopefully you’re not so dumb as to take 10 years to sort yourself out) out of your life to recover from what didn’t need to happen. Using nature’s law of “Nothing is missing it just changes in form” to keep your partner in the same space they were on your honeymoon, they were and are, the best partner you could ever hope or dream to have. Ten minutes a day can save you days a week dealing with relationship dramas.
- Ignite the fire daily. I love the definition of “spirituality” as the fire in the belly. I’ve met thousands of monks and guru’s and to be frank about it, the most common denominator for the enlightened ones is fire in the belly. They laugh loud, they pray deep, they enjoy the moment, they have a glint in their eye, they love life. And what causes all that? Vision, Inspiration and Purpose. Yes, spiritual people have huge visions (EGO) about what they can do in the world, they have a single purpose that their visions (EGO) can work toward and they are inspired because they link every fragment of a second of time and space to those visions, and purpose. For me, this is the ultimate realization of human potential, our spiritual enlightenment. Some people make the mistake of thinking that peace is the result of spirituality, but there is no peace in Tibet or anywhere, not even in the heart of one single person on earth. There is, in the case of some people a PURPOSE to cause peace, that is their purpose, it’s not the result Remembering that human law always wants half stories, while Nature’s universal laws are balanced. The person whose purpose it is to cause peace on earth knows this is a Human Calling … but, at a universal and nature level they can detach from their EGO because for every peace they cause, they cause a war. There is always balance, so with the focus on purpose in life, we can relax and say, the more we do, the more we need to do. It’s a wonderful, non material awareness. So, in my life when I finally found a harmony with the universe through nature’s law, I realized that getting bent out of shape because of the contradiction between my purpose (universal law) and my results (human law) was no argument that needed anything more than a daily smile. They are irreconcilable differences and there’s nothing to do, nothing to worry about. It is, as it is meant to be, the difference between my EGO desire for imbalance and my spiritual connection to something bigger than myself. I stopped wasting 5 more days a week self-obsessing about my impact on the world and just focused on my vision, inspiration and purpose. That was a great day.